Thursday, September 15, 2011

The latest review of Ferris' Bluff on Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Delighted, Delightful, Delicious, un-putdownable, September 13, 2011
By 
This review is from: Ferris' Bluff (Paperback)
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Wasn't sure I would, because it's not my usual type of read. Not sure what it's labeled as, a thriller, a mystery, or a vignette, but I usually read fantasy and historical stuff, & hardly ever modern-day settings. Nevertheless, I gave it a try and I'm so glad.

Ferris' Bluff is filled with quirky, likeable characters, each and every one fleshed out so that I felt connected to them. In that way, it sort of reminded me of "Fried Green Tomatoes." There's Drunk Reena and her evil husband Harlan, Pink, (ugh) gap-toothed Dicky, Leets, Granny Tubbs, Chaz, Val, Art Drury, Jeff Davis the ineffective cop, Frenchy and her devoted boyfriend Leon, Just To Name A Few. There's also Imported Michelob and "lots of wheelchairs, all filled with crooked wrinkled white people." And Annie Travers, with the "nearly-perfect" butt and other intriguing qualities. Oh, I nearly forgot Ace. Ace Evans. Tall, dark and handsome. Ace is on the run. We don't know from what, exactly. But finding out left me alternately laughing and profoundly moved.

Ace is an "ex-Navy Seal." He's alone now, no home, no credit cards, no tracking, and something in his past won't leave him alone. Ferris' Bluff is just what he needs, although he doesn't realize it right off.

The book offers many wonderful lines, such as "The moonshine cut through the crud on Ace's tongue like a stripper on old paint." And here's one of my favorites: "Sumbitch!" We also get meatloaf sandwiches. Yum!

"Voice" is something that is always being stressed to writers. This author has "voice" in spades.


I learned a lot from Ferris' Bluff. One thing I learned? Man, it's hard trying to keep a tail with one car. At 2.99, this book is a steal. I know I'll enjoy reading it repeatedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment