Sunday, July 10, 2011

Yesterday...no, not the Beatles song


Yesterday I was just hanging out on my boat in the marina, sipping an icy Negra Modelo (or 2) and listening to a ballgame on the radio.

Bliss.

I felt like I was taking a break from work, believe it or not. If you've got an e-book recently published online you know what I'm talking about. Hours of bouncing from link to link, forum to forum, trying to get a handle on just where the readers are lurking so you can give them an e-pitch...

It's kind of fun and interesting, for sure...but draining. And you never know if it's working. Short term, a couple of sales overnight feels like a victory, though maybe a small one given the hours you were clicking away. 

Long term? Who the hell knows.

Back in the day, when I was starting up the plumbing company, I was the master of what was called
Guerilla Marketing--you know...non-traditional ways to advertise. What are the non-traditional ways to promote on the internets? For cryin' out loud, what are the traditional ways to advertise?

Also back in the day, the best advertising was 'word-of-mouth'.  I have no doubt the same is true here in The Matrix...no doubt at all. I just need some mouths, I guess, which brings the conundrum full circle.

But it beats waiting for a rejection letter or e-mail for a book you KNOW kicks ass by a mile...and gives you a perfectly good reason to open another icy beer...

No comments:

Post a Comment